Friday, June 1, 2012

A Reflection on Cheer

For many people the first year of college is a little bit rough.  Adjusting to life on your own away from your family and many of the friends that you grew up with.  Gaining more responsibility, getting up for class on your own, eating right, exercising, gaining a new social network... The list could go on and on.

My first year of college was interesting.  Half way through the year I decided that I was no longer going to be a doctor, a plan that I had in mind since the age of 12.  In fact, I had no idea what the heck I was going to do with my life.  I was strongly advised by my parents to stick out a whole year at the college I had selected.  Which leads us to this photo that I found in my inbox this morning...

See that girl with the pixie cut... does she look familiar??

Yes, in fact, with no prior experience at all I found myself a cheerleader on the collegiate level.  Why they didn't haul me off to the nut house at this point is beyond me...

Through this experience I gained a great appreciation for cheerleaders.  Everything they have to remember, the stunts, the conditioning.  I spent about 2 weeks with bruised hands!  Seriously it's like yoga, pilates, and gymnastics combined.

So, here's to trying something new this weekend.  Getting yourself out of your comfort zone and making the best of what you are given.  And here's to cheerleaders, who certainly don't get the respect they deserve.




1 comment:

  1. So what even gave you the confidence to go out for cheerleading?
    I cheered in jr. high and high school. The high school I went to more saw the cheerleaders as groupies so we did more errand running than cheering half the time. I gave it up to get a job at a horse stable. =)

    ReplyDelete

Hey - so - what do you think?