Monday, May 24, 2010

Altu's Adventure - Ethiopian Date Night

I started this post with lighthearted intentions - what I discovered while roaming around Etsy inspired me to promote some great shops that have wonderful intentions.

Friday night John and I decided to go on a dinner date. We were in a pretty adventurous mood, so we decided to go to Altu's, the local Ethiopian restaurant!


As you can see - hunky boyfriend takes ordering very seriously... :D


We wanted to do one of the dinner feasts so that we could try a bit of everything! We ended up spicy ground peas, lima beans, collard greens, mild chicken, and spicy beef. By the way, they weren't kidding, anything marked spicy pretty much brought tears to my eyes (the good kind, of course)!


This is our communal dish. It sat between the two of us in what looked like a sombraro, you then put some of the food onto delicious pancakes to eat. A very colorful feast!


Altu's is such a quaint little place and on Saturday nights they have live music! The decor of the restaurant is also in Ethiopian style.

Ethiopia is a country rich in culture and at the same time its citizens are very very poor. Many people look to adopt children from this country to save them from a life of struggle. I was inspired by this adventure to see if there were any Ethiopian inspired items on Etsy. All of the items that caught my eye are being sold with the intent of putting the proceeds towards adopting children from Ethiopia. If you can find it in your heart, please support these shops. Whether it's through a purchase or even promoting them, they are doing a very noble thing and deserve our support!



This is a necklace inspired by the Ethiopian flag, proceeds from the sale of this item go to a family who is in the process of adopting a boy from Ethiopia. By Richarme


Proceeds from the sale of this shirt go towards funding an adoption from Ethiopia, from mrsleslisweeny. What a moving message.


The sale of this vinyl decal in the colors of the Ethiopian flag is also going towards funding an Ethiopian adoption, from the shop of erbare74

Have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

  1. hi anna~
    thanks for featuring our One Less Orphan shirts and for spreading the awareness of the needs of ethiopia!! we are privileged to be able to bring one of these kiddos home to join our family :)
    ~lesli

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog! very interesting.. i found myself reading and reading, and going into older posts! (not something I do very often) so i'm definitely a follower now! glad to get acquanted with your shop on Etsy and wish you the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's a great ethiopian restaurant by our place... i remember the first time we went, i overindulged a bit.. i was so full! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am nigerian so I completely understand how you feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that decal.
    Wanted to tell you your hair is looking so cute in that pic! I like the new length!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. :)

    What an amazing post. :)

    Glad you guys had fun at dinner :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for posting about our decals, we will be following your blog....ThANKS AGAIN Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to work with a girl from Ethiopia and the food is HOT....and I like hot ! Great picks !!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! I haven't been for Ethiopian food in such a long time.

    Great work highlighting Etsians who are concerned with Ethiopia's struggles! Thanks for introducing me to these thoughtful makers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOw, I have to say I've never had an Ethiopian cuisine, I love spicy food! Must find an Ethiopian restaurant now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! Looks like fun. I've never had Ethiopian food. Also, I like the organizations you've focused on, especially "one less".

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband looooves Ethiopian food, I can't get past the injera, I can't stand the texture! But I think I'll give it another go just for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always wanted to try Altus! I have been to Blue Nile in Ann Arbor though and thought the food was delicious... although I left with a very, VERY full stomach.

    ReplyDelete

Hey - so - what do you think?